Greetings From Florence.

September 15, 2013


Well hello!  There is so much to get caught up on.  I've been busy posting some of the pretty bits of our trip on Instagram, but of course that's never the whole story.  As much as I love trying to capture the beautiful, the cute, the delicious, I want to share more than that.  I am a seeker of truth after all....the good, the bad and the ugly!

We came to Italy to fulfill a dream that B and I have shared since our very first conversation more than 11 years ago.  The dream was living abroad, in Italy to be precise.  Italy was a love of both of ours separately. Neither of us are Italian in blood, but we both feel Italian in our souls I guess you could say.  We had both lived in Italy before (separately) and studied the language (he is far more advanced than I).  And when we had kids, the desire to come here didn't go away, it just changed to include them.  So, earlier this year, after a rather soul-crushing legal matter that B worked on (all turned out well, it was just a difficult process), B came home and said Let's Just Do It.  I hemmed and hawed for about a week, because that is just what I do (it is in my blood) and then I woke up on a Tuesday and said Of Course We Are Going To Do This Thing!!

There was lots of planning and researching and trips to Italian Consulates and such, and if I was more like Design Mom, I would lay all the how-to's out there for you (heck, maybe I will do that one of these days if there is interest) but right now I just want to talk about right now.  And the right now is about the kids starting school tomorrow.

Our trip has always centered around the kids attending school here in Italy.  We have this (arguably overly) romantic idea of our kids loving Italy as much as we do and more importantly, speaking the language because come on how cute would the kids be speaking the language.  Come on.  And no, they are not going to an international school or an English language school.  They are going full immersion, people.  Which I love the idea of and I am terrible frightened of as well.  Fortunately, they are attending a Waldorf/Steiner school here in Florence.  The idea is the curriculum and style and environment will be familiar to them.  And we feel good knowing they will be with loving and capable teachers.

I looked at my kids for a long time tonight after they fell asleep (it's so cute, we have them all in one room), and I felt a new feeling for them I think.  I am used to feeling love and overwhelming affection and that desperate need to make everything good in their worlds (and okay okay, frustration and agitation too) but tonight, I felt, I don't know, in AWE of them.  I believe they are all more courageous than I was at their ages.  Strike that, I KNOW they are more courageous than I was at their ages.  Their adaptivity, their honesty and insight about their feelings.....it all blows me away.

We have, of course, been talking to them about school in these last weeks.  Are you excited?  Are you nervous?  Maybe you will make some new friends.  What do you think your teacher will be like?  This type of thing.  Juju has cried but is intent on going.  She has shown real bravery this summer playing with children who do not speak any English (she is the one that will walk right up to a group of kids) and I think she is drawing on those experiences to push herself through.

The other night, B was talking to Charlie, and he was at first quiet about the whole thing.  But then he said (and I paraphrase), "Daddy, you know how people tell you something is going to be so exciting and then you are excited, but then it actually happens and you are scared?  And then after you are scared, it gets fun?  I was scared like that when I started first grade."  And of course B told him that was how this school year was going to be and that he will feel better after a few days most likely.  I am so grateful to have a son who is in touch with his feelings, can admit he is scared, and talk openly about it with his FATHER.  You see, I don't really come from a family of males who talk a lot about their feelings.  Anyway....

Then there's Little E.  She's the only one who has been almost 100% excited to start school.  (Although tonight she said, "What if I'm scared of my teacher?" and I told her the teacher is a very nice person who loves children, and then she said, "Okay" and went to sleep.)  Now, I will remind you, Little E has never even been to school, so I think it's a matter of her not really grasping what is about to happen.  Fortunately, so so fortunately, she and Juju will be in a class together.  At least they can speak English together.  Ha.

So, I guess I am here to ask for you to think of my littles tomorrow if you can....I am nervous for them (again, it is in my blood).  I packed Charlie's lunch, we laid out all of their outfits, and breakfast will be set before I go to sleep tonight.  Happy new school year to all!  And lots of baci from Florence!

18 comments:

  1. What an exciting year to come. I'll send happy and supportive thoughts their way tomorrow. I'm a new-ish reader and I look forward to see how you all transition into the year in Italy. Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had the guts to do what you're doing! Wishing your littles the best of luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with starting the new school! so nice to hear more from you here, I love watching your trip on instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following along on ig and it looks like it's been an amazing adventure. I think the kids are going to do great in school and I'll be sending good thoughts. I've watched first hand how quickly kids pick up the language and get the hang of things in immersion, and it's nice they have each other. Summer looked lovely, but an approaching autumn and a settled daily school routine in Italy sounds downright dreamy. Good luck with the next chapter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck to all three of them (and to you as well!). There's something in the air at the beginning of a new school that boarders almost on enchantment, perhaps -- and I'm sure even more so in Florence. (I spent a semester in Rome, so I also have a special place in my heart for Italy.) What an amazing adventure that you are having. I am very inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so, so thinking of your littles! (And I am also so, so feeling for you, mama!)

    I'm sure they will do wonderfully amidst that swirl of emotions that always comes along with new experiences. But as a mom? It makes you want to smile, cry, let go and not let go all at once. Thanks for letting us follow along, Jora. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been following you on Instagram and enjoying your journey very much. I visited Positano in June and loved seeing photos of your little ones there all summer, it brought me back!

    I think you are doing a beautiful thing for your children, letting them become so immersed in such a wonderful culture. It literally sounds like a dream.

    I have a love affair with Italy, luckily I am Italian albeit the Americanized version, and had the pleasure of traveling around the country on my honeymoon. I can only hope one day my husband and I could do something as awesome and profound!

    I am thinking about your three and also am a little jealous!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mucho suerte y amor para los tres chicos. besos para vos y b

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have been following along on Instagram,and love each picture. Thanks for sharing pieces of your adventure. Sweet Lil prayers for your sweet Lil kiddos,they are so brave. Always looking forward to more blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your babies have a cadre of angels, you and B being two of them, around them keeping them 'held' and safe. It will all be good including how nervous you are. What a life experience, eh? what a gift. You are brave and courageous beyond what you believe. Thanks for paving the way for our journey next year...i'm watching and taking notes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. Italy is my favorite place to visit. And your children are so lucky. Hopefully I can bring my new little family sometime soon.

    Pinkandnavystripes.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to share with you that I too went to the Waldorf School, and that my family moved frequently (US, the Netherlands, Austria and Germany). And relying on the familiarity of the Waldorf School environment in each of these countries really helped me adjust from place to place. Wishing you all the best on this exciting family adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing about your trip (here & on IG)!! I love the days when I get to sit with my coffee in the mornings and get caught up on emails, peek in on your latest IG sharings, etc. The school-year rhythm has been such a welcome change for my bunch - awfully sweet to see the same true for yours! And of course, we missed you at Pantry Party this week (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love this... the 'why', the bravery, the discussions, & the vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel like I had a better comment when I tried to do it on my phone right as you had written this, but here it goes anyway. I keep thinking about Charlie liking excitement to being scared. It's such as better way of looking at it. Anticipation is exciting and can make you feel so anxious.

    Juju is my hero. I love that little brash, brave soul. E sleeping in class made my heart melt.

    I wish I was there for morning coffee breaks post drop off, but I guess B will have to do. ^_^ Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gracias por compartir, como siempre, una placer leer tu blog.

    Que sea un buen año para todos!

    VeritoVera

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to know all the "how-to's" -- so even if you don't get around to posting it, expect me to pick your brain when you're back in SD. :) This will be such an incredible and enriching opportunity for all of you. Of course I'm totally envious, but also really happy that you are so blessed to be able to have this wonderful adventure with your family. Much love! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...