What I've Learned Recently.

July 23, 2012


Hi.  (Is anyone still out there?)  Well, we got home from our trip safely and happily.  However, after adjusting to jet lag, unpacking, and otherwise tackling Re-entry, Little E managed to develop a severe infection in one of her mosquito bites.  (Mosquitoes ate our children alive in Venice and I still haven't forgiven those nasty buggers.)  The infection was bad, as in Real Bad.  Sadly, test results confirmed it was MRSA (which the doctor had predicted).  If you have to google that to find out what it is, don't read too far.....it can be scary.

Thankfully (seriously so much thankfulness going on over here) she has pulled through, and a week ago the doctor declared her 90% better and that her healing had been "remarkable" and "wonderful."  I really think he was surprised that she was able to turn things around like she did.  She is now essentially back to normal.

Here's what I've learned:

1.  Get off the Internet (at least after you've managed to figure out the basics).  Nothing ever, ever good comes from reading discussion boards about horror stories of random Internet people.

2.  Follow your mama bear intuition.  I doubted myself a couple of times, but I ended up having the correct first instinct in a couple of critical periods.

3.  Talk to real people.  I spoke with a few moms who have had first had experience with MRSA infections, and those conversations were invaluable.

4.  Get off the Internet.

5.  Don't ignore a bug bite or cut that looks a little weird (or that is painful).  These infections move quickly and can be very dangerous.  Early treatment is key.  I really had no idea.  I'm so glad I took her into the doctor within a day of it first appearing.

6.  Don't overuse antibiotics.  They think she responded so well to the antibiotic treatment in part because she has never been on them before.  Also, antibiotic overuse/misuse (also, all of the anti-bacterial soaps/gels/cleaners) is probably what lead to the development of MRSA in the first place.

7.  These infections are affecting kids and healthy adults a lot right now!  It used to be something that people got in hospitals or nursing homes, but now the bacteria is all over the place and can affect anyone.

8.  For all the talk out there about how terrible our health care is, I am so grateful for the doctors (and nurses) who helped us.  They were attentive, patient, thoughtful, and gave us independent advice (not just canned "protocol" type recommendations).  I have no complaints at all...just thankful we live in a place with these types of health care professionals.

9.  Lastly, get off the Internet.  Ha.

So there you have it.  That's what we've been dealing with over the past couple of weeks.  Hopefully, I can get through our photos from the trip sometime soon and get a post up!

22 comments:

  1. Oh, no! I am so sorry you guys have gone through all that. Thanks gor passing on your wisdom, and I'm glad that miss E has recovered so well. XOXO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so pleased to hear that E is well and this is history for you. Scary so scary none the less

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. That would have been seriously frightening. I am so glad for you that she is ok. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe this, how scary for your whole family :( thanks for the tip (s) about the internet. I have self diagnosed so many times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I'm really sorry to hear about this, but I'm so happy she's doing well. And yes by all means stay away from the internet! Mom's instincts are usually right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a relief. so glad she's on the mend, and that mama instincts served you well xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I'm so glad to hear she's doing well now. A similar thing happened to my daughter last summer...damn those mosquitos!...and it was really scary. Your words of wisdom are spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor little girl... My niece had the same infection last year..It was horrible...
    You are so right about the internet...My husband is always telling me same thing.
    I am glad your baby is ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't agree more. The internet has caused many sleepless nights over here. It's hard though, because you want answers fast and that is truly the easiest way to get all of the information. I'm learning to use the internet without panicking, but it's definitely not easy. So happy to hear she got through it quickly! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering if something was up...and it was. Yikes! So scary. But I'm super happy to hear that Little E is getting better.

    jbhat

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad she is better! I saw your post on Instagram and it scared the bejeezus out of me since my little guy was also eaten alive by mosquitos (in Sayulita). Fortunately his bites have healed without incident, but this is important information for all of us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy to hear she's doing better! Oh the heartache of seeing our babes ill. It's the worst, and this was serious. I recently dealt for months with a staph infection (thought to have contracted in hospital but uncertain). Weeks of anti-biotics were only 50% successful. Finally the fog of my concurrent and constant "morning" sickness lifted and I remembered all my essential oils. Quite strong, those oils. Infection gone :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. jora! i thought so much about you guys (seriously) after seeing the first IG of E in the doctor's office. i know only a little bit about MRSA but enough that it freaked me out. you are wise to say--multiple times--to get off the internet. and you are wise to point out the overuse of antibiotics! (as well as gels... something i am guilty of). do you know how it became infected? or is that just normal daily life stuff, getting germs in it, etc.?

    SO glad she is better and that, in turn, her mama can rest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. and i should add that i am so excited for some italy on your blog. your instagram feed had me drooling. it was messy. got all over parker.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter contracted MRSA when she was 3 and I remember bawling for hours. I work in the criminal justice system and it was something I thought was relegated to jails, hospitals etc. I think the growing consensus is we may have tipped the 50% mark with people who have it (albeit some may never manifest an infection) outnumbering those who don't. Hang in there - she will be fine. My daughter hasn't had an outbreak in several years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, so I have heard of a handful of people recently, including little E, who have had gnarly staph infections. You are totally right that these are becoming frighteningly common. Did you get any good insight on how to avoid in the future? I guess just early detections and treatment? SO SO SO glad she is better. i bet it's due to not only the lack of previous antibiotics but also all that good mama's milk :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing all of this. So glad to hear she is OK! Sending good thoughts her (and your) way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry to hear that your little one was sick. My very best wishes to your lovely family. Virtual but really heartfelt thoughts to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so glad your daughter is okay. Yes, people who complain about "horrible" US heath care (oh, yes, soooo horrible) have no idea what horrible health care really is. They should travel around the world for a change instead of complaining and doing nothing in their lives. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  20. After being the one to peruse the internet about MRSA post E's bout, I will second the "DO NOT GO THERE." I am SO glad she's doing better! And there's a small, sick part of me that wants to see a photo of her bug bite so I know what we're talking about... you know, so I don't have to look for it online one day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh Jora, I'm so sorry you all went through this! and so happy to see that sweet little healthy face in the dance video. So true about the internet. I spend far too much time researching...and speculating.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...